SevenKingdoms

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Interview with vocalist Chris Barretto from Monuments

    

   The label sent me a copy of the new Monuments album The Amanuensis out now on Century Media Records recently and I was blown away. Pounding riffs, stellar musicianship and a gem of a vocalist in the recently hired Chris Barretto. So what sort of metal are they? The band themselves don't want their music to be defined, it's either good or bad depending on who's listening. So I'm taking a leaf from their book and will only say that this is not only good but really really good.

   I jumped on the chance to interview someone from the band and Chris was back with answers lightning fast. So here we go:

1. You have a new vocalist Chris Barretto on the new release, can you tell us how you found him and was he familiar with the bands music.


CB: Hey dude! Chris here haha:) Well, we found each other quite by accident, chance, fate, whatever you'd like to call it. We've all had music profiles for a couple of years, me being with the bands I've been involved with for some time and Monuments being Monuments of course. We didn't have a dormal meeting until just last year, however. I was filling in for vocals with the band "The Haarp Machine" and Monuments was one of the bands that were a part of that tour. It's kinda funny actually. They're some of the most amazing people I've ever met, but they're fucking mental haha! And I mean that in the best way possible. I've also been a fan of the music they've produced for a while now, so I was no stranger to them. We developed a rapport on that tour that was pretty good i guess. I knew they were having troubles with their old singer and when I got home from that tour, they had fired him and were looking for a replacement. They put up that audition track (which is now "I, The Creator") and i seriously just couldn't stop listening to it. It was way too fun to get out of my head. So i hit them up and was like..."SUP! So is this a thing possibly?" They were very cool with the idea and I sent over a demo just like everyone else. I'm fortunate that they liked my interpretation just as much as we got along, cuz I ended up getting the gig and here we are!


2. Chris is an incredible singer and can easily go from a clean vocal style to an aggressive one. I'm often curious, when you have a vocalist with this range how do you decide what style to use for each song or part of the song.


CB: Why thank you! Might I say, you have impeccable taste ;) I really do appreciate the kind words though. Truth be told, the style kind of writes itself, if that makes sense. It's partially a feeling and also a little bit of the thought "what do I want to achieve here". As far as this record goes, those decisions were up to me and I feel like i made them, appropriately. To be fair, I was very conscious of wanting to do a bit more singing on this record, so that have been my only "pre-meditated" approach for this album. Otherwise, like I said before, it kind of writes itself.


3. Your first full length release Gnosis was well received. The follow up is normally more difficult. Did you feel any pressure with this one.

CB: We felt pressure but not for the reasons you'd expect. The pressure came form the need to complete this album in a very short time frame, by our standards. We have about 7 -8 months to get this record done and out to the people. That includes writing, recording, mastering, packaging. The whole nine. That was the only pressure we felt. Other than that, Gnosis wasn't even a ghost of a thought while doing this record. We just wanted to express our musical selves as honestly possible, this time around.


4. You went for a more stripped down sound for this one. Did the material lend itself to this approach or was the decision made well in advance.

CB: I wouldn't say stripped down. I would say subtle. There are some riffs on here that Browne loved to write but, sometimes, hates to play because of their technical difficulty. There are more harmonically moving passages on here than I believe were on Gnosis. On this record, we actually explored almost every key center possible. So in that one sense alone, it was way more involved than the previous record. Vocally, I honestly feel the same way. The subtlety of this album is greater and the real craftsmanship comes out in the little details that the common ear might not pick up because it's not whole-heartedly paying attention. Listen again and really pay attention. There's so much more going on than you'd initially expect.


5. Consider me a fly on the wall, take me through how a track is written from the bare bones up and is it the same with all the songs.

CB: well it would be like this, I suppose. Normally it's music first, so whether it's Browne, or Olly, or Swanny, or even Mike, there's always a tune that happens first initially. For Browne, he basically writes around the way he feels and let's his hands do the rest. We then arrange the song a whole bunch of times until we settle on a final version of sorts. then I come in and lay the vocals on top and provide some further tweak to the arrangement, should I find it necessary to suit an idea that I have. It's not always like that, we don't have a "definite" formula for writing. this just happens to be the most common approach we use.


6. We live in an age where everything has to be defined and have a place and yet in the press release for The Amanuensis you don't want the bands music to be classified. Was it one thing that made the band take such  stance.

CB: I guess we're just holding onto that piece of hope that people will truly just listen to the album and let the music speak for itself. There's all these categories and labels nowadays. To me, or to us, it's all just rock n roll or metal. Even that is too much. Just put it on and find out if you like it or not. That's all we're really asking.


7. From a musician's perspective what is your definition of success now that cd sales are not what they were.

CB: It's a multi-dimensional answer for sure. To be fair, cd sales still matter. They might not be as important in our little corner of music, but they still count. I guess it also matters how well you feel you did on the record. Did you really write something that was honest to yourself, as a musician? people also help shape the success of a record. If you write what you think is a bangin record, but no one buys it, is it really a success. Honestly, like a lot of things in life, it really comes down to that old phrase: "time will tell". But let me tell you this, if you got a #1 record in the charts and you can make a nice living off your music, there's no shame in that and you better enjoy it! it's becoming a rarer thing these days. For metal anyway.


8. You have a lot of upcoming tour dates, do you feel that this is still the best way to get the bands music heard.

CB: Nothing will ever replace the experience of live music. Connecting with people will be around long after the internet and electricity expire (hope that doesn't happen any time soon). Don't get me wrong, the internet has re-shaped the world and may provide a more immediate sense of connection with new music. But nothing will ever replace the profundity of hearing something live and having your mind blown.


9. The U.S leg of the tour features Scale The Summit and Glass Cloud, are you friends with any of those guys and/or familiar with their music.

CB: Well Josh Travis from Glass Cloud used to be in Monuments way back when so there's a little bit of history there! The rest of the guys we don't know quite as well but we look forward to the the hangs...if they can handle us ;)

So there you have it. The band are just starting a run of U.S dates and the full list of shows can be found at:
or say hello on Facebook:
Richie.

No comments:

Post a Comment